Wastewater Plant Operator III - Multiple positions available
Company: City of Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The current vacancies are for Wastewater Plant Operator III in the
Wastewater Division of the Public WorksDepartment. The eligibility
list established from this recruitment may be used to fill other
Wastewater Plant Operator IIIvacancies during the life of the list.
The eligibility list established from this recruitment is valid for
up to one year from the date established unless the list is
extended or abolished by the Human Resource Director.
Under general supervision, the Wastewater Plant Operator III
performs a variety of skilled tasks in the operation, inspection,
and maintenance of the City's wastewater treatment plant and
Selection Timeline: (The following process may be changed as deemed
necessary by the Human Resources Director.)
To apply, submit:
* Application - online application only. Resumes are not accepted
in lieu of filling out the application form completely. Click the
Apply button to begin the online application process. This position
is open until filled. The recruitment will close without notice
when all positions have been filled and the job posting will no
longer appear on the City website.
* Response to supplementalquestions - will be a primary tool in the
evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Any work
experience described in the answer to the supplemental question
must also be related to your employment history on the main
* Applications will be reviewed and competitively screened based on
the minimum qualifications for this position on an ongoing basis.
Applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment
after review and qualified candidates will be invited to
(May include, but are not limited to, those duties listed
* Monitors, reads, and calculates the flow of sewage through the
plant by meters, gauges, and usual inspection; operates pumps and
valves to regulate flow and adjust chemical feeding according to
* Collects samples and makes routine and more complex chemical and
physical tests monitoring for changing conditions and chemical feed
* Logs test results, meter and feed readings, flow rates,
maintenance and other data; prepares daily and periodic reports on
* Inspects pumps, motors, chemical feeders, level controls and
other equipment to ensure proper operations; makes adjustments and
emergency repairs on plant equipment as needed; works closely with
maintenance and technical personnel to correct equipment
* Performs/Leads a small crew in routine and more complex plant
cleaning and maintenance such as: cleaning lines; hosing filters
and basins; painting structures, equipment and piping; and
maintaining plant grounds and facilities.
* Loads, unloads and stores materials and supplies; including the
storage and transfer of chlorine and other hazardous materials.
* May answer phone calls from customers regarding more complex
service problems and questions; may serve as central
communications, taking and relaying information to and from
department personnel on emergency needs and services.
* Participates in/Leads in skills and safety training programs;
learns and implements safety rules, regulations and emergency
* Leads a small crew on special projects.
* Performs all phases of sludge processing including: operate and
maintain centrifuge and all accessories; load sludge into trailers;
perform routine preventive maintenance on all facility
* Participates in confined space entrance and rescue.
* Performs other related duties that may be reasonably expected as
part of this classification.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting,
turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, climbing,
crouching, crawling, balancing, twisting body motions, grasping,
reaching, pushing, pulling, working overhead, making repetitive
hand movement, distinguishing by touch and working with finger
dexterity in the performance of daily duties. The position also
requires talking, hearing, plus near and far and color vision when
inspecting work and operating assigned equipment. The ability to
lift, carry, and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing up to
100 pounds is also required. The incumbent works indoors and
outdoors in all weather conditions including wet; the working
environment has constant noise. Work takes place on slippery uneven
surfaces, around machinery with moving parts or stationery
equipment, around moving objects or vehicles, on ladders or
scaffolding, and below ground. The incumbent occasionally works in
confined spaces. The incumbent may use chemicals, grease and oils
which will expose the employee to fumes, dust, and risk of skin
exposure; the work includes working with hands in water. The
incumbent must be able to perform duties assigned while wearing
respiratory protection equipment.The incumbent may be exposed to
biohazards and/or electrical energy. The nature of the work may
also require the incumbent to use power and noise producing tools
and equipment and drive motorized vehicles.
Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise
qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
The minimum qualifications for Education, Experience, Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities are the following:
Education and Experience:
* High school graduation or tested equivalent; and
* Two (2) years of experience in a wastewater treatment plant plus
the successful completion of one (1) college-level course directly
related to wastewater treatment.
Licenses and Certificates
* Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a valid
California Class C driver's license.
* Possession at time of hire and continued maintenance of a Grade
III Wastewater Plant Operator's Certificate from the California
State Water Resources Control Board.
* Basic mechanical, electrical and hydraulic principles.
* Current principles, practices, and regulations related to the
treatment process of the wastewater treatment plant, including
standard quality tests.
* Operation and maintenance of pumps, motors, valves, metering
control systems and chemical feed equipment.
* Hand and power tools used in routine plant maintenance.
* Safety procedures pertaining to plant operations, including the
techniques for handling and storing hazardous chemicals.
* Chemistry and mathematics as used in the operations of the
* Operating, maintaining, and adjusting treatment system
* Reading, interpreting and recording data accurately.
* Perform mathematical calculations accurately.
* Successfully implement basic leadership principles and establish
and maintain effective working relationships with others as a peer
and lead worker.
* Recognize unusual or dangerous operating conditions and make
sound judgments within established guidelines.
* Learn more complex principles, practices, techniques and
regulations pertaining to plant operation.
* Learn and assimilate more complex supervision principles,
practices, and responsibilities.
* Willingness to work rotating shifts including nights, weekends,
holidays and overtime as assigned.
* Must be clean shaven at all times as required to wear respiratory
* WWTF Operations Manager
* WWTreatmentF Operations Supervisor
* Senior WW Plant OperatorIV
* Senior WW Plant OperatorIII
* WW Plant Operator III
* WW Plant Operator II
* WW Plant Operator I
* WW Plant Operator in Training
Keywords: City of Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz , Wastewater Plant Operator III - Multiple positions available, Professions , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!