Certification Engineer, Mechanical Systems
Company: Joby Aviation
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: January 19, 2023
Certification Engineer, Mechanical Systems Job Locations
US-CA-Santa Cruz ID 2020-1023 Category Certification Type Regular
Full-Time Joby Overview Located in Northern California, the Joby
Aviation team has been steadily working toward our goal of
providing safe, affordable, fully electric air transportation that
is accessible to everyone. Imagine an air taxi that takes off
vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the
congestion below, giving you back that time you'd otherwise spend
sitting in traffic. Technology has advanced to the point where
designing and operating an all-electric aircraft is completely
viable. Our team has been discreetly designing and flight testing
this vehicle and is looking for talented individuals to see it
through certification and high rate production. Overview Joby
Aviation is looking for engineers experienced with civil aviation
certification to join our growing team. This role will serve as an
internal Subject Matter Expert as well as a primary external point
of contact with regulatory agencies and industry standards groups
for aircraft, system, and equipment-level aspects of mechanical
systems and equipment.
Certification engineers will work closely with multiple design
engineering and test teams to ensure designs comply with all
federal airworthiness regulations. This position requires a solid
understanding of aircraft systems, system development, and
industry-specific certification processes. It is preferred that
this individual be an FAA DER or candidate. The most important
traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong
work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills.
Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced
environment are a must. The Mechanical Systems Certification
Engineer will be responsible for certification aspects of some or
all systems and equipment related to:
- Ice and rain protection
- Landing gear, wheels, brakes, and tires
- Doors and steps
- Hydraulic and pneumatic equipment
- Actuation systems Responsibilities This position will be
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and
establishing compliance strategies - including means and methods of
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related
documents, including -
- Issue Papers, Special Conditions, Equivalent Levels of Safety,
- Certification Plans and Summaries
- Test Plans and Reports
- Design and Analysis Reports
- Requests for Conformity, Statements of Compliance
- Working with and mentoring multiple engineering teams with a
mix of aerospace and non-aerospace backgrounds.
- Establish relevant design development and certification plans
that will support Type Certification.
- Convey and document requirements in a way that clearly breaks
down the regulations and guidance material.
- Develop engineering specifications for mechanical systems and
- Review designs, develop solutions, and ensure compliance with
the airworthiness standards.
- Planning out test campaigns, overseeing test article
fabrication, and witnessing tests in order to demonstrate that
applicable designs show compliance with airworthiness
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA,
EASA, etc.) Required
- Expert-level understanding of design standards and verification
methods for mechanical systems and equipment.
- Expert-level understanding of RTCA/DO-160 Environmental
Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment.
- Previous FAA certification experience with mechanical systems
- Basic knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including
Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP4761, and SAE ARP4754A.
- The ability to question traditional assumptions in the
application of regulations, guidance material, and engineering
- The ability to read, review, and create technical schematics,
engineering specifications, and engineering drawings.
- At least 10 years of relevant aviation or aerospace industry
- A Bachelor of Science in an applicable engineering
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you
must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to
your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide
religious and medical circumstances The ideal candidate for this
position will have or be:
- An FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) - Systems
and Equipment (Mechanical Equipment).
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or
Part 27 experience preferred.
- Experience in testing including instrumenting, data
acquisition, and documenting and analyzing results.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop
- A private pilot certificate or higher.
- Familiar with Dassault Syst--mes engineering and management
tools. Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this
moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Keywords: Joby Aviation, Santa Cruz , Certification Engineer, Mechanical Systems, Other , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!