Politics and Policy Correspondent
Company: Lookout Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: August 3, 2022
Correspondent - Politics & PolicyLocation: -Santa Cruz,
CaliforniaLookout Santa Cruz -is looking for a correspondent -who
can deeply report and explain the real-world impacts of Santa Cruz
County politics and policy. We're a national model local news
startup, now moving quickly to become the primary news source in a
one-of-a-kind county of of 276,000. We seek an aggressive reporter
enthused to quickly learn and master a new community, one we like
to call paradise with lots of issues. We've done good
accountability and political coverage in our first 18 months, but
it's been uneven. We have opened this position to add experienced
firepower to a -newsroom of 10. -In just 18 months, we've
established ourselves as a new, go-to trustworthy news company
valued by those who read and care about local issues. With this
job, we focus on the nexus of policy and politics, on issues
ranging from environment and public health to public safety and
homelessness.Our newsroom focuses on impactful stories, while as a
primary news source, keeping our readers updated on step-process
governmental proceedings and other actions briefly. We are high on
explanatory, connect-the-dots reporting and pointed knowing
writing. Whether in 500 or 2,500 words, we tell the readers what we
know, well sourced and well told. We fit the formats to the
content, using -Q&As -and -Ask Lookouts, and other emerging
formats - including video - in addition to narrative
journalism.Overall, our team of correspondents are enthused about
being part of a new model of community-centric, mobile-first,
topically knowledgeable, intensely local journalism in Santa Cruz
County, founded by national news analyst -Ken Doctor. -Lookout's
correspondents are the prominent public face of Lookout in all the
diverse communities we serve. Read our report on our highly
successful launch; it it fits you, your talents and your
enthusiasms, please write
send a detailed cover letter, resume and fitting work to
firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.Correspondents are full-time
employees. We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits. As we
are looking for people who are true voices of the community, the
position is in-person, not remote.Experience & skills:
- Rock-solid journalism judgment, intuition and taste.
- Proven ability to report smartly, write with great clarity and
context and break news.
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-growth startup
environment, embracing the agility and flexibility required to
thrive within a new business.
- Experience and comfort with the pace of digital-first
journalism, and the digital technologies that power it.
- Ability to engage diverse local communities in Lookout's
- Ability to think through visuals that will aid storytelling and
work with colleagues to activate them.
- Demonstrated adaptability, especially with new topical coverage
areas and communities.
- Comfort learning new technology and experience working in
content management systems, producing, editing and dressing stories
with related media (photos, videos, etc).
- Comfort with the format of Lookout's correspondent-focused
model, and the personality it brings to the work.
- A minimum of three years of professional (post-collegiate)
- Bilingual abilities are a plus.
- Data reporting skills are a plus.
- Audio/video experience is a plus.Benefits and ApplicationThe
Correspondent position is a full-time Lookout Local employee. We
offer competitive employee benefits.Lookout Local is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability or veteran status.As we interact with the public
on a regular basis, a vaccination against COVID-19 is required for
employment absent documented disability or religious reasons.Please
apply, with cover letter and resume to -email@example.com.Job
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- 401(k) (no match)Lookout is:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborativeCompany's
Keywords: Lookout Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz , Politics and Policy Correspondent, Other , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!