Company: Joby Aviation Inc.
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: August 2, 2022
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily
working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air
transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off
vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic
congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would
have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making
this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype
aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis.
We're looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push
onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation
Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch
targeted in select markets for 2024.
You will provide experienced leadership in support of air vehicle
design, ground tests, and flight tests with aerodynamics
performance design and analysis, and provide guidance on all
performance analysis and certification concerns.
This role will handle planning and execution of aerodynamic
performance analysis and testing of air vehicles throughout the
development and certification process
* Interface regularly with Flight Physics teams (aerodynamics,
controllability, control laws, loads), as well as Airframe,
Powertrain, Flight Test, and other groups affected by performance
* Perform as a primary subject matter expert and FAA/EASA focal for
Subpart B performance and flight analyst activities related to
* Independently complete analysis, design, and testing pertaining
to aerodynamics, performance, and handling qualities of vehicle
designs at different stages of development and certification.
* Conduct propeller and mission performance calculations and the
underlying engineering analyses that provide inputs to
aircraft-level performance calculations related to product
* Evaluate component test and flight test data, using empirical
data to improve analytical predictions and modeling and validate
performance and controllability estimates.
* Support mission, field performance, climb/descent, and cruise
performance analysis requests from the Air Vehicle, Flight Physics,
Flight Test, and Certification teams.
* Collaborate with the broader engineering team to conduct
multidisciplinary trade studies to guide design decisions related
to aircraft performance.
* Support requirement verification activities in various
engineering subject areas.
* Support test procedure development and test execution for field
and flight performance validation.
* Develop engineering tools to complete analysis tasks associated
with aircraft development and certification.
* Bachelor of Science in engineering (aerospace engineering
* Minimum 10 years of aerospace industry experience in flight
performance, including test management and execution
* Currently hold an active Company or Consultant FAA Designated
Engineering Representative (DER) authorization, or otherwise
satisfy the basic qualifications for becoming a DER per the FAA
Order 8100.8D and FAA Order 8110.37F
* Demonstrated experience working with or generating aerodynamic
data related to lift, drag, and controllability
* Experience with and/or fundamental knowledge of computational
* Experience with working with ground and flight test teams in
various categories of aircraft
* Experience with development and approval of Aircraft Flight
Manuals (AFM) and Pilot Operating Handbooks (POH) and the
performance data therein
* Experience with rotorcraft or fixed-wing performance analysis
techniques that builds on applicable educational experience
* Knowledge of safety assessment process, methods, and analyses
(FHA, FMEA/FMECA, FTA, CCA) used in safety assessments (PSSA, SSA)
per SAE ARP4761
* Expert knowledge of, and experience with FAA Subpart B
regulations and compliance procedures for Part 23 and/or 27
aircraft, as well as Part 91 regulations
* Excellent verbal and technical writing skills in the English
* Collaborates effectively between multidisciplinary teams
* Self-sufficient and self-starter, and maintains a sense of
urgency in communications and actions
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs products
* Must be able to travel 30% to support testing and on-site support
in Joby's Santa Cruz, CA offices
* FAA Part 25/29 certification experience and knowledge
* Experience with handling qualities/controllability
* Experience with fly-by-wire flight control systems and control
* Experience with flight into known icing certification and
* Knowledge and experience with certification of air data
* Equivalent EASA certification experience to FAA requirements
* Proficiency with MATLAB and/or other scientific programming
languages (Python, C, etc.)
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must
show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your
start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide
religious and medical circumstances.
Keywords: Joby Aviation Inc., Santa Cruz , Performance Lead/DER, Other , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!