Life Science Research Professional 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: May 13, 2022
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University is seeking a
Life Science Research Professional 1 to join the Jerby Laboratory
to study the underlying principles and molecular underpinnings of
multicellular dynamics in cancer. The ideal candidate will join the
team as soon as possible.
Lab overview: Immune responses and tissue homeostasis rely on
highly orchestrated multicellular regulation, where different cell
types and the interactions between them can either halt or promote
pathological processes. Grasping the logic of multicellular
dynamics is fundamental to our understanding of many biological
processes, and can greatly advance our ability to detect, treat,
and even prevent, a wide range of diseases, including cancer. As
such circuits consist of an immense number of interacting
components, which often function in a context-dependent manner, our
ability to decipher and target them is still very limited.
The Jerby lab develops integrative, multidisciplinary approaches to
track, model, and perturb multicellular dynamics at scale, focusing
on the cancer-immune interplay. Combining single-cell technologies
with genetic editing and machine learning, we aim to unravel the
causal structure of multifactorial immune evasion mechanisms in
highly aggressive tumors, develop new ways to trigger and augment
targeted anti-tumor immune responses, and provide a blueprint for
the study of multicellular (dys)regulation in health and disease.
For more information about our research and laboratory, see
Job description: We are looking for enthusiastic and creative
people to join us as Life Science Research Professional 1 (LSRP).
The LSRP is expected to lead and design experimental projects to
tackle key questions and challenges in cancer immunology. Specific
projects include developing a multimodal perturb-seq system to
identify key regulators of cancer-T-cell interactions; mapping
cancer-immune dynamics across time and space using emerging
single-cell and spatial profiling technologies; and integrating
genetic and environmental editing to decipher combinatorial effects
driving multifactorial immune evasion mechanisms.
The candidate should have experience with molecular and cell
biology techniques, primary cell culture, and ideally also single
cell sequencing and/or genetic editing; high level of initiative
and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team;
excellent communication, organization, and time management skills;
and, most importantly, creative thinking and passion for
The Jerby lab is a supportive and interdisciplinary workplace that
provides exposure to innovative research and cutting-edge
technologies. This position is a unique opportunity for scientific
growth and development with the potential for widespread
recognition of scientific contributions.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
- Proficient in molecular and cell biology, with hands-on
experience in operating standard lab equipment.
- Strong core competencies in cell and molecular biology
techniques, including, for example: tissue culture, flow cytometry,
cell sorting, live cell imaging, reporter systems, transfections,
and/or drug delivery.
- Preference to candidates with experience in single-cell/spatial
sequencing, primary cell culture (particularly T cells), and/or
- Ability to quickly learn, preform, and master the procedures
described above, and then effectively disseminate their knowledge
and train other lab members.
- Exceptional organizational, time management and critical
- Excellent lab notebook practices and attention to details.
- Excellent communication skills; will and ability to interact
with all levels of staff, external contacts, students, trainees,
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and eagerness to learn and develop,
collaborate and contribute to an inclusive and supportive
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 88185 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Santa Cruz , Life Science Research Professional 1, Other , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!