Service Operations Specialist - Payroll
Company: University of California - Santa Cruz
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: November 12, 2020
Service Operations Specialist - Payroll
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California,
combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the
depth and rigor of a major research university.
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application
materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the
hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the
IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit.
Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the
Initial Review Date (IRD): 11-05-2020
Dept Marketing Statement
The University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) values and supports
every person in an atmosphere of civility, honesty, cooperation,
professionalism and fairness. We embrace diversity in all its forms
and strive for an inclusive community that fosters an open,
enlightened and productive environment. Staff Human Resources (SHR)
is a service organization and we represent the University of
California to our customers and to the public. Our goal is to
partner with our customers by promoting dialogue at every
opportunity so that, together, we can achieve the most appropriate
human resources solutions. We demonstrate professionalism in our
words and actions in order to provide consistent, reliable, and
Under the direction of the SHR Operations Manager and Supervisor,
the Operations Service Specialist serves the campus by performing a
broad range of payroll and human resource activities related to
staff and non-academic student employees.
This includes the preparation and maintenance of time and
attendance reporting records and systems, online administration of
personnel actions and pay adjustments, student employment, customer
service, general human resource support and records management.
Work is performed within a service delivery group and as part of
the Staff Human Resources Operations organization.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $23.92 - $25.03/hourly; salary upon hire is commensurate
with skills, qualifications and experience
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full
Full-time, 40 hours weekly
Works Mon-Fri, Day Shift
Employee Classification: Career
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley; the selected candiate will work
remotely from home until on-site work resumes
Union Representation: CX - Clerical Employees
40% Payroll Administration
* Administer staff and student employee time and attendance
reporting for the campus by using the web-based enterprise time and
attendance system or other approved reporting systems to collect,
audit and reconcile time and attendance records and follow
operating procedures with attention to detail and adherence to
* Review, analyze, prepare, process and audit monthly and biweekly
payrolls, salary adjustments, additional and one-time payments,
late payments, final checks, and overpayments.
* Maintain up-to-date tracking tools for vacation accrual maximums,
calculation of vacation and sick accruals, compensatory time, etc.
Calculate and track overtime, other supplemental pay, leave usage
and accrual according to policies, procedures and collective
* Review a variety of time and attendance actions and transactions
performed by others to insure appropriate and accurate compensation
and benefits of staff and student employees. System update review
is performed with a broad knowledge of relevant policies,
procedures and bargaining agreements, as well as knowledge of the
functionality of the personnel/payroll and time and attendance
* Process retroactive salary actions and online entry updates as
necessary due to wage implementations.
* Ensure appropriate backup documentation is complete and received
prior to processing any pay transactions and online entry
* Research and resolve problems and discrepancies. This includes,
but is not limited to: time and attendance, salary adjustments,
additional payments, and student employment.
25% Personnel Action Administration
* Duties/Responsibilities: Perform accurate and informed online
entry update and/or review of all delegated personnel actions
(including new hires, rehires, change in funding, title,
percentages of time or employment status, extensions, separations,
limited to career actions, etc.) using the personnel/payroll
* Review a variety of personnel transactions performed by others to
insure appropriate and accurate compensation and benefits of staff
and student employees. System update review is performed with a
broad knowledge of relevant policies, procedures and bargaining
agreements, as well as knowledge of the functionality of the
* Track compliance with policies and procedures such as extensions
of employment for staff and student employees, ensuring proper
leave codes, etc.
* Manage the extension and separation process for student employees
independently and in partnership with Employee and Labor Relations
Analysts for staff employees.
20% HR Support and Policy Application
* Advise and explain personnel and payroll transactions and respond
to requests for information and assistance from campus
* Interpret and accurately apply HR policies, procedures and
collective bargaining agreements and communicate to supervisors and
staff as needed to ensure compliance in accurately applying HR and
time and attendance policies.
* Support supervisors in the hiring of students and maintenance of
student appointments. Maintain job requisitions in the student
recruitment system and help to facilitate appropriate use by campus
* Refer staff and management to appropriate resources.
* Serve as liaison with other campus offices: Career Center,
Payroll, Financial Aid, etc.
10% Records Management
* Maintain and utilize HR data in campus HR systems and
* Produce reports and reconcile data (e.g., Federal Insurance
Contributions Act (FICA) listings, work-study, maximum vacation
notices, etc.) as needed and coordinate information with
* Manage the personnel records for designated populations and
administer the HR office-of-record function for time and attendance
* Provide support in the processing of merit, wage implementations
and award programs.
* Participate on workgroups and projects in support of SHR,
campus-wide and divisional initiatives.
* Participate in special projects and represent SHR Operations on
committees at the request of the Operations Manager or
* Provide general administrative support to various Staff HR
sub-units as needed, which may involve leading and directing
student or temporary employees.
* Attend and participate in unit, divisional and/or campus meetings
* Proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual
and potential accidents and injuries.
* Proficiency performing accounting, banking or payroll functions
or related work experience.
* Experience using standard computing tools i.e. Microsoft Word,
Excel, email and the Internet.
* Experience using spreadsheets, web-based systems and/or databases
to track and audit information, and generate reports.
* Good writing skills with the ability to produce correspondence
and reports using accurate grammar, style and punctuation.
* Strong verbal communication skills with an ability to comprehend,
interpret and relate with clarity and accuracy technical or
* Ability to perform mathematical computations rapidly and
* Ability to understand, interpret, consistently apply
Keywords: University of California - Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz , Service Operations Specialist - Payroll, Human Resources , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!