Assistant Category Manager. Beer, Wine & Spirits
Company: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc.
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Assistant Category Manager. Beer, Wine & Spirits New Leaf
Corporate, 1101 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, California, United States
of America Req #4595 Who is New Leaf Community Markets? New Leaf
Community Markets opened its doors as a small cooperative in 1985
on the Westside of Santa Cruz. We learned early on, that the
well-being of our guests, staff and community starts with
sustainable, locally produced food. Farm-to-table all the way!
We've partnered with open-minded producers who care as deeply about
our people, the planet and social justice as we do, from day
Our mission is to be a purveyor of good - from offering the best
local and natural foods, to taking care of our staff, community,
and environment. We love what we do, and we know that it's our
passionate staff who make it all possible. We're committed to
taking care of our people by leading the way with progressive
Every day, we work to create an atmosphere of openness, caring,
trust, and fairness - a place where staff can thrive, and
differences are celebrated. As a member of the New Leaf Community
Markets team, you can count on an inclusive, friendly environment
and a welcoming group of inspired individuals who love people,
great food, and being a part of a community gathering place.
Why You'll Love Working at New Leaf Community Markets
- Amazing Benefits Package - Including comprehensive medical,
dental, vision and 401k at 24 hours a week.
- Great earning potential with the opportunity for growth within
our family of brands
- Paid Parental Leave available
- Lifestyle Scheduling
- Public Transport Benefits
- Paid Community Service Hours
- 30% discount at all New Leaf Community Markets, Bristol Farms
and Lazy Acres Natural Market locations Ingredients You'll Bring to
the Table: You love food and have the ability to create an
experience that is beyond the everyday.You have a positive attitude
and work well in a team environment. You can connect with people
and reach a level of hospitality that exceeds guests'
expectations.You are warm, outgoing, authentically amazing and want
to be inspired, challenged and proud of where you work.
You embody the spirit of New Leaf Community Markets core values:
Community, Integrity, Sustainability, Quality, and Respect; and you
are driven by our mission to nourish and sustain our community by
using business as a force for change.
What's on Your Plate: Job Title:Assistant Category Manager - Beer,
Wine & Spirits Reports To:Director - Beer, Wine & Spirits FLSA
Summary Responsible for the supporting overall direction, growth
and execution of the Northern California region's Beer, Wine &
Spirits programs.Accountable for financial performance of the
programs, including driving and achieving sales, margin and waste
goals. Provides leadership, direction and mentorship for our Beer
and Wine teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and models our company culture. Acts as a steward
of company resources, mission, vision and values. Promotes
sustainable business practices.
- Embraces an agile work environment and guides others through
change and continuous improvement.
- Builds community within and outside of New Leaf Community
Markets. Works in stores and other offsite events and locations as
needed to support our core business and community.
- Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members,
customers and vendors spiriting a respectful workplace where
everyone is welcome.
- Demonstrates ability to manage own timeand models a flexible
work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change
based on needs and conditions of department. Creative with
problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and
calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive to
different styles and effective.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner
demonstrating company Speak Up culture.
- Maintains confidentiality and exercise good judgment around
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the
company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
Contributes to store and office cleanliness, maintains
- Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and
complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and
responsibilities. Position Responsibilities:
- Assists Director in leading the Beer and Wine departments to
ensure that the overall company's objectives are met regarding
financials, vendor partnerships, product assortment, and supply
- Assists in developing a product mix that meets company goals of
variety, innovation and margin targets while tailored to meet the
needs of each of the neighborhoods we serve.
- Supports Director with review of assortment and product
selection to ensure we are meeting our sourcing objective.
- Works with Director to identify and implement efficiencies and
strategic innovations. Communicates program expectations to ensure
successful store execution.
- Maximizes sales and margin potential for Beer and Wine
departments. Communicates a clear vision on financial
- Assists with user-friendly program design and strategy
development aimed to achieve financial goals, including sales
goals, margin targets and waste improvement.
- Monitors program execution via weekly store visits, and provide
a written follow up of store execution and action steps with
department and store leadership. Works alongside store staff and /
or our vendor partners when needed.
- Partners with Wine and Beer leadership and merchandising teams
to quickly resolve issues impacting store operations, in stock
conditions, inventory, margin, waste and store conditions.
Identifies and communicates best practices, with support of store
- Monitors accuracy and consistency of departments systems and
required record keeping. Including, but not limited to:Utilization
of Online Inventory Management System for all functions PO's,
inventory process and procedure, transfer recording, purchase
journal/invoice tracking, food safety, and others, as
- Assists Director with identification and execution of pricing
and advertising programs/ marketing materials .
- Assists in monitoring and performing routine analysis of
categories, and program performance, making recommendations and
changes that keep us relevant and financially sound.
- Supports Director with period end financial reporting and the
development of proposed action items. Executes those actions once
agreed upon by Director.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with vendor partners,
upholding our Pledge to Vendors to ensure we are the "best place to
do business" while nurturing local supplier relationships that
support our local food economies.
- Provides guidance to the Beer and Wine teams about changing
customer trends. Gather insights from internal and external
resources to enable fact-based decision-making. Assists in product
- Collaborates with store leadership teams and serves as a
resource for the professional development of Beer and Wine
Managers. Provides insightful, helpful and consistent performance
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned. This job
description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties,
responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general
definition of the position's scope and function within our company.
New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to amend and change
duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing
industry or business needs as necessary.
- Friendly and service oriented, with a passion for food and
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or related fields or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working in operations in a
multi-unit environment, with strong financial and operational
acumen and demonstrated success in running and growing a retail
- Previous experience with program development in a retail
- Experience in purchasing and merchandising retail
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially
Excel, with skills to learn new programs and systems.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a
demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they
arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy,
to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and
professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a
collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs
of the department.
- Valid Alcohol Server Permit. Language Skills Excellent written
and verbal communication skills required .
Mathematical Skills Basic to intermediate math and computation
Reasoning Ability Skills to read, understand and follow through on
verbal and written instructions. Ability to maintain
confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive
information. Strong analytical, critical thinking and
Knowledge of English Should have the ability to speak, read and
Physical Demands This position works consistently at a light work
level and may be asked to work on occasion at a medium or heavy
work level when supporting stores or other offsite events.
Frequently required to sit, walk, reach and grasp. Occasionally
required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking
throughout shift. Up to occasionally, dependent on location,
required to climb stairs, step stool and /orladders. This position
works with standard office equipment. May be required to use the
following tools and equipment when working in stores or offsite;
baler, hand truck, POS, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast
chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.) and
basic housekeeping / janitorialitems.
Work occurs in office, a variety of off-site environments and in a
grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet
and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in
controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on
location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be
exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance
with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of
2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make
reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees
Travel Ability to travel regularly to store locations, trade shows
and other off-site locations throughout the United States. Valid
Driver License and vehicle required.
- New Leaf Corporate, 1101 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, California,
United States of America
Keywords: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc., Santa Cruz , Assistant Category Manager. Beer, Wine & Spirits, Executive , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!