Social Responsibility - Project Director
Company: Net Impact
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Social Responsibility - Project Director FishWise Social
Responsibility - Project Director For almost 20 years, FishWise has
worked closely with businesses to advance sustainability in the
seafood sector. Through our partnerships and extensive networks,
FishWise offers pragmatic approaches and credible guidance for
companies to tackle some of the toughest challenges in sustainable
seafood, from addressing environmental issues in fisheries and
aquaculture production to improving traceability and mitigating
risks of human rights abuses in global supply chains. FishWise is
unique among sustainable seafood organizations, with a mission
equally focused on people and planet, and a dedicated Social
Responsibility team that works specifically on the protection and
promotion of human and labor rights. What differentiates FishWise
is its strong collaboration and advisory role with industry, as
well as its partnership with the NGO and government community of
experts. We achieve measurable impact by:
- Partnering with companies to develop comprehensive seafood
sustainability programs with transparent, time-bound
- Convening and connecting stakeholders to drive improvements in
supply chain social responsibility, focusing on labor rights
- Creating best practice guidance and resources to improve the
labor conditions of some of the most vulnerable workers in seafood
FishWise is hiring a Social Responsibility Project Director to lead
and support the FishWise strategic initiatives designed to protect
and promote human and labor rights in the seafood sector. Reporting
to the Social Responsibility Division Director, the Project
Director will be responsible for research, development, execution
and/or management of multiple high-impact initiatives in a
cross-functional team structure. The ideal candidate will have
proven capability to act as expert advisor, both internally and
externally, on human rights, labor rights and corporate social
responsibility, either within food system supply chains or a
similarly complex sector. They will have a strong strategic mindset
and interpersonal communication and facilitation skills, superior
project and team management experience, and passion for advancing
the FishWise mission. Our dedication to collaboration with seafood
sustainability and human and labor rights organizations, as well as
industry and government bodies, creates rich opportunities for
bridge building and fostering awareness of diverse solutions,
ideally drawing from lessons learned across sectors. With the
increase in attention on potential human rights and labor abuses in
the seafood sector, and existing FishWise partnerships with
businesses, NGOs, and research organizations, FishWise is in a
strong position to catalyze concrete advancements in the protection
and promotion of rights for workers. Role and Responsibilities:
- Lead and contribute to Social Responsibility Division
grant-funded and industry partner efforts, with a focus on
initiatives that protect and promote labor and human rights
throughout global seafood supply chains.
- Advance FishWise's credibility and impact by working with human
and labor rights, fisheries, and seafood market experts, engaging
in multi-stakeholder collaborations, and representing FishWise at
conferences and events.
- Manage programs, projects, and teams, aligning contributors
toward purpose and objectives, delegating responsibilities,
soliciting input and decision-making from leadership, providing
technical direction, and project and budget management
- Represent FishWise externally, using both written and verbal
communications, including the creation and delivery of public
presentations in diverse venues.
- Provide technical guidance and other advisory support related
to human rights, labor rights and corporate social responsibility
across FishWise funded projects. This may include developing and
refining key data elements, organizing and participating in
convenings, and the provision of seafood-specific guidance to
- Provide technical and strategic input to the Social
Responsibility and Business Engagement Divisions, as they plan,
coordinate, and implement social responsibility services for
business partners, including developing, tracking, and ensuring
progress against contract line items and creating new service
offerings to meet a need.
- Review technical documents, reports, legislation, and news on
human and labor rights, due diligence, social responsibility,
sustainability, and related efforts to stay updated and informed on
latest developments and serve as a technical expert. As required,
provide summations of relevant learnings to the FishWise staff
- Support and/or lead the development of funding and business
development proposals, communicate with funders or business
partners to support existing efforts and foster relationships for
future opportunities. Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Dedication and passion for human and labor rights and a
commitment to advancing the FishWise mission.
- Broad and deep expertise in human and labor rights, with
particular expertise related to human rights due diligence,
responsible recruitment, worker engagement, responsible sourcing
and/or other topics aligned with FishWise's strategy.
- Experience implementing social responsibility practices within
a food system supply chain, or an equally complex sector.
- An ability to maintain and expand FishWise's network of key
stakeholders, including human rights experts, funders, critical
partners to industry, and worker organizations.
- Basic understanding about fisheries and aquaculture production,
traceability, seafood sustainability ratings and certifications,
and market-based conservation initiatives OR translatable
experience in another food systems sector with supply chains.
- Critical thinker with the ability to inform FishWise strategy
and broader objectives, and create aligned efforts and goals that
contribute to the achievement of those.
- Excellent project management skills, with a demonstrated
ability to work with teams to meet deadlines, organize work flows
and materials, manage multiple and simultaneous work streams, and
establish and maintain project scope.
- Excellent communication skills, including presentations,
research and reports, ability to strategically synthesize and
convey complex ideas to targeted audiences.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a rapidly
changing and results- oriented environment.
- Innovative mindset, open to pursuing business development and
funding opportunities that contribute to the financial security of
- Master's degree plus 5 years relevant experience, or Bachelor's
degree plus 7 years relevant experience, or equivalent experience
in a related field. Additional Preferred Experience:
- Experience facilitating trainings, panels or workshops,
designing the material and leading the discussion.
- Implementation and/or design of US government contracts and
grants (e.g. DOL/ILAB, USAID)
- Successful fundraising experience, particularly from US
Government or private funders (including corporate foundations or
earned income through industry consultancies or other
- Familiarity with or desire to learn about traceability systems
and other data collection and information management systems,
particularly as applied to labor and human rights Hours and
- This is a full-time position that has the option to be based
out of our headquarters in Santa Cruz, CA, partially remote or
- Work hours: 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, 9:00 A.M. -
5:00 P.M. (PST or EST, with flexible scheduling options contingent
on supervisor's approval).
- Project Director salary range: $76,000 - $83,600.
- Selected candidates will be placed in the beginning of the
salary range and have the opportunity to advance through the range
based on satisfactory performance and time in the position.
- Competitive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision,
and life insurance, parental leave, flex-time, and matching
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required.
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation may be
- United States work authorization required. FishWise is an equal
opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. We
recognize diversity as important to accomplishing our work and view
diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well
as age, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, job skills, education, and geographic
Keywords: Net Impact, Santa Cruz , Social Responsibility - Project Director, Executive , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...