Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: March 16, 2020
Organizational Overview: CCOF advances organic agriculture for a
healthy world. We advocate on behalf of our members for organic
policies, support the growth of organic through education and
grants, and provide organic certification that is personal and
accessible. CCOF is a nonprofit organization governed by the people
who grow and make our food. Founded in California more than 40
years ago, today our roots span the breadth of North America and
our presence is internationally recognized. We are supported by an
organic family of farmers, ranchers, processors, retailers,
consumers, and policymakers. Together, we work to realize a future
where organic is the norm.
Position Summary: The Development Manager is an experienced
fundraising professional who supports the Foundation Director in
developing and implementing a full range of fundraising activities
for the CCOF Foundation, a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Annual
CCOF Foundation revenue is growing and expected to reach $1.5
million by the end of 2020. The Development Manager is responsible
for implementation of development strategies outlined in the
foundation workplan, including major donor cultivation and
stewardship, grant writing, annual appeals, and events. The
Development Manager works closely with the Foundation Director and
supervises a Development Associate. Limited resources are budgeted
for contracted grant writing. Some shared administrative and
marketing support (social media, data entry, editing, material
production) is available to support development activities. The
ideal candidate for this position is a strong team leader and
writer who is passionate about organic agriculture. Excellent
communication, managerial, and project management skills are
required. This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, exempt status
position reporting to the Foundation Director. Position
- Ensure that the Foundation achieves annual fundraising goals
and is positioned to expand programming and impact on an annual
- Develop and implement annual development work plans that
clearly identify responsibilities of each development team member
with respect to fundraising, prospecting and donor
- Systematize development activities and other efficiencies that
support revenue growth and minimize development costs.
- Provide input into the forthcoming CCOF organizational
- Collaborate with partners across the organization
(marketing/policy) as well as the CEO to support Foundation
Director in developing events, communications, and projects.
- Supervise Development Associate and contractors while fostering
a positive, productive and collaborative work environment.
- Promote a culture of philanthropy at the staff and governance
levels of CCOF.
- Support Foundation Director and Development Associate in
coordination and participation in donor stewardship and
- Identify new areas for business and individual donor program
expansion, such as planned giving and product sales percentage
- Lead donor prospecting (identification of prospective donors)
by developing and implementing consistent outreach/identification
processes. Train staff in use of these processes and monitor
- Oversee and participate in solicitation, donor stewardship and
reporting for existing business and individual donor portfolio
- Identify and seek grant opportunities (private foundation and
government) that further the Foundation's program priorities.
- In collaboration with Foundation Director, lead grant writing
process and submission, including coordination of external partners
- Collaborate with cross organizational team to ensure that CCOF
events support fundraising and stewardship goals.
- Together with Development Associate, plan and execute events
specific to donor cultivation and recognition
- Guide and implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program,
including regular analysis for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Represent the Foundation at donor-related convenings,
conferences and community events.
- Oversee maintenance and ongoing development of a top-notch
development donor and prospect database.
- Oversee internal development reporting.
- Support the engagement of the CEO, Foundation Director, board
members and other staff in high-level donor solicitations by
ensuring appropriate briefing materials and post-solicitation
- Oversee all Foundation development gift acknowledgement, in
collaboration with Development Associate.
- Assist with other projects as needed. Take on other duties as
Desired Qualifications and Desired education or Certifications: ---
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of development/fundraising experience,
including at least one year of team management
- Demonstrated record of success in meeting fundraising goals for
organizations with budgets of $1 million or more annually
- Demonstrated knowledge of cultivation, solicitation and
stewardship strategies and techniques for institutional and
- Superior written and oral communication and presentation
skills, including experience speaking to and writing for donors and
crafting compelling funding proposals and pitch materials
- Background in food and agriculture and strong commitment to
CCOF's mission and vision
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience supervising staff
- Ability to work in a dynamic, creative and fast-paced work
- Commitment to working collaboratively across departments to
support shared organizational goals
- Working knowledge of donor data bases, ideally including
- Occasional evening, weekends, and overnight travel
- Ability to lift 40 lbs from ground to waist
- Own reliable vehicle available for work purposes Compensation:
CCOF takes pride in offering competitive pay and excellent
benefits. The Food Safety Certification Specialist's starting
compensation will depend on qualifications and experience. Hiring
Process: Applications will be accepted until the position is
filled. Interested applicants, please submit the following
documents to , with "Development Manager" in the subject line: --
Cover letter summarizing your interest in CCOF and the position,
and qualifications-- Current resume-- List of three professional
references Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone
calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank
you for your interest.
Keywords: CCOF, Santa Cruz , Development Manager, Executive , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!