Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Structures)
Company: Joby Aviation
Location: Santa Cruz
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Joby OverviewLocated in Northern California, the Joby Aviation
team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable,
all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that
takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the
traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise
would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been
making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a
prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air
taxis. We're looking for talented individuals to join our team as
we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal
Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with
launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Working as a Structural Test Engineer, you will support the Testing
Team. As part of this team you will perform structural testing of
flight critical structures for VTOL electric aircraft. Working in
our structural test lab facility, the structural test engineer will
prepare test procedures, assembly test setups, execute tests and
analyze and report test data. - The data collected during these
tests will inform the company's hardware design efforts and pave
the way to safe, production-ready airframes.
- Create test setups to validate the structural characteristics
of primary and secondary aircraft structures (primarily composite)
by working closely with the aircraft design teams to capture the
nuances of aircraft design loads and operating conditions.
- Develop formal test plans, test procedures, instrumentation
plans, test stand/fixture designs, data acquisition architectures,
and any other necessary tools to allow for thorough and repeatable
testing of specimens as discussed.
- Analyze data collected during the aforementioned tests to
generate reports that will provide quantifiable feedback to the
engineering teams that will allow them to optimize their
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 2+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong analytical background.
- Hands-on attitude.
- Experience with testing of composite structures.
- Experience using sensors such as foil strain gauges, linear
potentiometers, string potentiometers, accelerometers, - etc.
(including sensor installation).
- Fluent in data acquisition techniques, signal conditioning, -
and data processing techniques associated with above
- Experience with mechanical design of complex assemblies and
manufacturing drawing creation, including weldments.
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design.
- M.S./Ph.D in relevant discipline.
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry.
- Experience with industrial test laboratory environments and
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using
Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design.
- Experience testing aircraft composite structures.
- Experience working with fiber optic strain gauges.
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and
other machine shop equipment.
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a
plus.Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: Joby Aviation, Santa Cruz , Airframe and Actuators - Test Engineer (Structures), Engineering , Santa Cruz, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!